On May 29, 2017, changes to the Mature Neighborhood Overlay will be presented to City Council for approval following 7 months of extensive consultation with the public, industry, and community leagues. These changes seek to ensure that new housing in mature neighbourhoods remains sensitive to the surrounding community.
Changes to the Mature Neighbouhood Overlay include:
Adding new regulations for:
- facade articulation between semi-detached and row housing dwellings
- architectural treatments
- variation in building designs
- cantilevers into side setbacks
Removing existing regulations about:
- building orientation
- row housing facades
- upper half-stories
- statutory plan overrides
Modifying various other regulations including:
- privacy screening
- platform structures
- driveway access
- garage size, location and orientation
- height and basement elevation
- consultation for variances
More information on the proposed regulations can be found online at edmonton.ca/matureneighbourhoodoverlay.
If passed by Council, Development Permit applications approved as of September 1, 2017, will be required to meet these new regulations.