Infill Construction Resources

This education package is for you and your subcontractors. The City of Edmonton is committed to welcoming new homes and more people into our city’s older neighbourhoods. With the support of neighbours of infill,  your industry can help us achieve this goal. We have heard from neighbours that considerate construction is vital to the image of the construction industry and to a positive public outlook on homebuilding in older neighbourhoods. To help you meet your obligations for neighbourly construction and to follow regulations we have put together this package for you.

Additional Permits Every Infill Builder Needs:

On Street Construction and Maintenance (OSCAM) Permit:

An OSCAM permit is required for a variety of work on City road right-of-ways, including:

  • All work that involves excavation of roadways, sidewalks, or boulevards.
  • All work on freeways, river crossings, in the downtown core, or Whyte Avenue area.
  • Non-excavation work that interferes with traffic flows on major roadways during the hours of 6-9am and/or 3:30-6:30pm, excluding weekends and holidays.
  • Non-excavation work with a duration of more than four hours at any one location
  • Multiple non-excavation work locations each less than 4 hours in duration, but closer than 250m apart are considered to be one location.
  • Permits allowing bins to be temporarily placed on public road right-of-way will be incorporated into the OSCAM Permit process in the second quarter of 2019.
  • The Temporary Crossing Permit (TCP), formerly the Temporary Construction Access Authorization Permit (TCAAP), will be issued with an OSCAM application to allow motorized equipment to cross a road right-of-way - such as a sidewalk to boulevard - to access a work site on private property
  • Tree Shrub Hoarding, required for the protection of public trees (work site or temporary crossing within 5 metres of public trees)
  • To apply for an OSCAM permit, visit

Infill Builder Postcard

  • use these to introduce yourself and your project to the neighbours

Residential Infill Construction Guide

  • refer to this guide for required permits, approval processes, regulations and best practices

Newsletters Postcard

  • sign up for City newsletters to stay up to date on regulatory or process changes,workshops and information sessions

Developing Together Postcard

  • learn about the role of City infill teams

Development Permit Inspections Postcard

  • prepare for a new inspection process

Infill Signage Requirements

  • know what signs you need

Protecting Public Trees

  • understand how to protect public trees and meet requirements for boulevard crossing permits

Safety Codes Permits and Inspections Postcard

  • know who to call for building inspections

Worksite Code of Conduct Sign

  • print in poster size and post on site to remind your subcontractors of best construction practices

Infill Development and Clearance Requirements Around Overhead Power Lines

  • understand the minimum clearance requirements for structures and overhead power equipment from power lines

Landscaping and Hardsurfacing Requirements

  • learn about incentives to retain mature trees

Infill Pre-application Meetings

  • free service offered by Development Officers

Zoning Bylaw 12800

City of Edmonton Maps

Builder Video Series