Infill Approval Process

How Are Decisions Made? 

Your comments, thoughts, and opinions will be used to help assess the planning application.

Our city planners will consider your feedback alongside the workshops, online surveys, and comments from citizens, organizations, and city departments.

Next, planners will consider the zoning alongside any plans and guidelines for the area and type of development.

Finally, technical comments from City departments and reviewing agencies (such as Transportation, and EPCOR Water) will be considered.

It’s important to note that City planners and City Council are not bound by any comments they receive.

Sometimes City planners receive a lot of feedback while sometimes there’s very little.

Often feedback can be contradictory: some people are in support while others are opposed. Edmontonians have a lot of different viewpoints! It’s one of the things that make our city so vibrant.

Ultimately, the decision will lie with the Officer responsible.

For a development permit, the Development Officer will make a decision.

For a subdivision, the Subdivision Authority will make a decision.

If the application is:

  • for a change to the Zoning Bylaw,
  • to rezone a property,
  • or for a new or amendment to a Policy or Area Plan.

City planners will make a recommendation to City Council to either support or not support an application based on the feedback they receive.  

City Council makes the final decision at a Public Hearing.

Submitting an Appeal

What if I don’t agree with the outcome?

If you’re not satisfied with the outcome you can contact the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) to learn whether or not you have the right to appeal.

An appeal must be filed within 21 days after the date on which the notice of the issuance of the permit was given, so it's important to be aware of the time frame that you're working within. 

Please note: decisions by Council cannot be appealed.

SDAB Contact Information

Churchill Building

10019 - 103 Avenue NW

Edmonton, AB  T5J 0G9



Under the Alberta Municipal Government Act (section 678), the right to appeal subdivisions is subject to appeal by the applicant only.