Permits and Regulations

Edmonton’s regulations and permits are the result of years of experience, testing, and feedback. 

If you’re planning construction, renovation, or changes to the use of a building, you’ll need permits from the City. The City is responsible for reviewing applications for construction or changing how a structure is used to ensure the building meets all the requirements established under the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw, Alberta Building Code and the Safety Codes Permit Bylaw.

Do not start construction until you have all necessary permits or you could be liable for substantial fines and responsible for the removal of the unpermitted structure.


These are required when:

  • the construction is for a new building
  • there will be changes to the exterior of an existing building
  • construction will result in a change of use
    • e.g., Constructing a secondary suite within an existing single family home.


Have both the development permit and building permit on the same application.


Issued after the detailed construction drawings are reviewed to ensure they meet the standards in the Alberta Building Code. You can buy a complete copy of the Alberta Building Code from the Province of Alberta's learning resources centre online.

*note: you are required to have a valid development permit before you can apply for a building permit. Contacting the City early will help you avoid surprises and will ensure that your project goes smoothly.


This new permit combines all of the permits and fees required to construct a new single family house into one application.


An OSCAM permit is required for a variety of work on City road right-of-ways, including:

  • All work that involves excavation of roadways, sidewalks, or boulevards.
  • All work on freeways, river crossings, in the downtown core, or Whyte Avenue area.
  • Non-excavation work that interferes with traffic flows on major roadways during the hours of 6-9am and/or 3:30-6:30pm, excluding weekends and holidays.
  • Non-excavation work with a duration of more than four hours at any one location.
  • Multiple non-excavation work locations each less than 4 hours in duration, but closer than 250m apart are considered to be one location.
  • Permits allowing bins to be temporarily placed on public road right-of-way will be incorporated into the OSCAM Permit process in the second quarter of 2019.
  • The Temporary Crossing Permit (TCP), formerly the Temporary Construction Access Authorization Permit (TCAAP), will be issued with an OSCAM application to allow motorized equipment to cross a road right-of-way - such as a sidewalk to boulevard - to access a work site on private property.
  • Tree Shrub Hoarding, required for the protection of public trees (work site or temporary crossing within 5 metres of public trees).

To apply for an OSCAM permit, visit


  • A Curb Fill Permit is required for the removal and filling in of a driveway access. When you are removing a driveway access, you will be required to restore the curb, gutter, sidewalk and boulevard. Remember to show any existing driveways on your site plan. A Curb Fill Permit will be issued as a Curb “Crossing” Permit, even if the application is to fill in an existing crossing. The requirement for a Curb Fill Permit will normally be identified during the review of your Development Permit application. If you are in a mature neighbourhood and have a back alley and your property has an access off the public roadway, under most circumstances, you will have to remove any access off the public roadway.
  • The Development Officer will let you know if this is needed.


  • A Residential Curb Crossing Permit is required when proposing a new driveway access off a public roadway. The Development Officer commonly issues the permit in conjunction with a Single Family House Permit or Minor Development Permit. You should be aware that if you are in a mature neighbourhood, have a back alley and your property has an access to the public roadway, under most circumstances you will have to remove any access to the public roadway.
  • To apply for a Residential Curb Crossing permit, visit


  • Required for:
    • heating
    • ventilation
    • air conditioning
    • plumbing
    • gas
  • Mechanical permits are not included in the building permit and must be applied for separately.



  • Required to install, alter, or add to an electrical system.